Chapters 40 and 41
1. Discuss the effect
of the mysterious man on the stairs.
2. Mr. Jaggers tells Pip that he has no evidence that
Miss Havisham was his benefactor. What evidence or indications did Pip have to believe that she was the author of his great
3. Is it possible to separate oneself from the past? Discuss
this theme in relation to Pip and the convict.
4. Discuss the convict’s purpose in making Pip a
Chapters 42 and 43
1. How much influence does a
person’s appearance have on others? Cite examples from the court trial of Compeyson and Provis.
2. Relate Provis’ story concerning his background.
Would this knowledge explain why Provis is so intent on making Pip a gentleman?
3. Describe the relationship between Provis and Compeyson.
4. Compare how guilt affects Arthur and how it affects
Chapters 44 and 45
1. Describe the confrontation
with Estella and Miss Havisham at Satis House.
2. Discuss the benefits of moving Provis to a room in
the same rooming house as Herbert’s fiancee.
3. Discuss the friendship that exists between Wemmick
Chapters 46 and 47
1. Explain how Pip’s attitude
toward the convict has changed from first meeting him at the Temple.
2. Discuss the plans for helping Provis escape from London.
Chapters 48 and 49
1. Discuss the changes in Miss
Havisham, and what has brought about these changes.
2. Relate Molly’s story and how her past is interwoven
with Miss Havisham’s past even though they never meet.
3. Trace the changes that have taken place in Pip’s
character since arriving in London.
Chapters 50 and 51
1. Relate Provis’ story
of his past.
2. Discuss the prison and court system concerning children
in nineteenth century London.
3. Research and describe the working conditions for children
during the nineteenth century in London. Discuss the child labor laws and how they came about.
Chapters 52 and 53
1. Discuss in what ways Pip
has changed since finding out that Provis is his benefactor and not Miss Havisham.
2. Describe Orlick’s plot to murder Pip.
3. Write a character sketch of Orlick and his part in
4. Discuss how Pip’s feelings for Provis have changed.
Why has this happened?
Chapters 54 and 55
1. Describe the escape and capture
2. Discuss how Dickens uses humor in these chapters.
3. Discuss how Mr. Jaggers is a central figure who ties
all the other characters together.
Chapters 56 and 57
1. Research and discuss the
court system in London during the nineteenth century.
2. Describe the last days between Pip and Magwitch.
3. Discuss the many ways that Magwitch has influenced
and changed Pip’s life.
4. Explain why Joe becomes more distant as Pip becomes
Chapters 58 and 59
1. Describe the two endings
of the novel. Which one do you prefer and why?
2. Discuss the idea or theme that money brings happiness.
Cite examples from the novel to support your opinion.
3. How has guilt affected Pip’s life?
4. Explain why the love between Joe and Biddy is the only
true love in the novel.
All Rights Reserved